Sunday, June 01, 2008

Lake Chabot Trail Challenge - Oakland, CA

With one more week to the Kettle Moraine 100K (my first race over 50 miles) my training plan had me doing a 13 mile run on Sunday anyway. So I decided to drive up to the familiar Lake Chabot, site of the Skyline 50K and Golden Hills Trail Marathon, to do this lowkey trail half marathon. My goal was to run about 1:40 on this hilly course and stay fresh for next Saturday.

I brought my friend Marco, a budding new trail runner who had just done Quicksilver 25K a few weeks earlier. At the start I saw Ultraholics Baldwyn Chieh and Chihping Fu (whose wife was doing the 5K).

Heading out on the east side of the lake, after leaving the asphalt pavement of the Lake Chabot trail, we did a quick up and down of a two hundred foot bump at mile 2. At Mile 3 we hit the Live Oak hill: 600 feet of climbing in a mile. Then up and down rollers until mile 9, when we dropped back another 400 feet to skirt the western shore of the lake. I got passed twice in short order once I got to mile 10. I considered chasing after them since I really don't like being passed. But today was not supposed to be about racing. Just before the finish I wasn't sure which way to go so I made the first left that would get you to where I remember the start being. Once I figured out the right way to go I had to backtrack 50 yards or so and keep going to hit the finish the right way. I finished in 1:40 and a few seconds (not really sure of my exact time or place).

Afterwards I relaxed in the sun chatting with Baldwyn Chieh, Mike Palmer, Julie Nye and other local ultrarunners while waiting for Marco to finish. Marco came in around 2:52 and we headed back down to the South Bay shortly afterwards.

1 Comments:

Blogger Baldwyn said...

Hey, I had a great time hanging out with you post-race. Congrats on a fast, but not-racing run, and best of luck this coming weekend! I'm looking forward to that race report!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home