Sunday, October 23, 2005

Stanford Theta Breakers 5K

I got to Stanford Stadium at 9am just as the race was supposed to start. I was tired from the race the day before and staying out late the night before. A bad idea probably but if you race every weekend day its going to happen.

We watched the 10Kers take off around the track and head up out of the stadium. Then we lined up on the far side of the track as well for a half loop before heading up out of the stadium.

I clocked the first mile in 6:25 (I had been doing 6:10 or less in recent races), and hoped to maintain that through the race. I hit mile 2 at 12:50. During the last mile I wasn't exactly sure of the route (the markings were hard to see in the midst of many possible paths through campus). So I slowed down alongside someone who looked like they knew where they were going. When we saw the stadium I picked up my pace. I finished in 20:23, good for second place among the over 40s and 14th overall. I hope to get my times below 20 minutes again at next Sunday's race at UW in Seattle.

Nothing particularly special about this race. There are a bunch of others on just about the same route (such as the Home Run coming up in a couple weeks). There's also the issue of random pedestrians and missing direction markings. Give me a trail run any day. I recommend running elsewhere if there's another race. Despite that, I'll probably end up doing the route again soon at the Home Run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home