Saturday, September 17, 2005

Back to School Scholarship 5K

This race (http://onyourmarkevents.com/results.asp?id=1579) is held in Shadow Cliffs Regional Park in Pleasanton. Its the venue for the On Your Mark Tri for Fun and Tri for Real series as well. I like running on these slightly hilly trails.

Unfortunately there were no mile markers so I couldn't really pace myself well. I felt good the whole race though, and loved the hills. About halfway through, my shoelace holding my key came loose and I had to retie it. Maybe 15 seconds lost?

At the point where the 5K and 10K runners diverged, I lost the pack of runners I was reeling back in from where I had lost them tying my shoes, since they turned right to do another loop for the 10K. So, failing another runner to kick against I slowed and finished up in 20:15, fourth overall, without really pushing myself too hard. Although there were several hills to serve as an excuse, I was disappointed to be over 20 minutes in a 5K for the first time in several races

They were giving out bags of random foodstuffs (pasta noodles, pickles, canned jalapenos) after the race, due to its sponsorship by a local food distributor. I got the bag and delicious yogurt smoothie that was also being given away and took off. I only found out later that I had won the 40 to 49 age group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home